Friday, May 17, 2013

Two Things on a Friday

Thanks for the comments on my last post. I have gotten some private comments and had some nice conversations, so thank you all. If you have insight or experience and haven't left a comment yet, I would love to hear from you.

Two things about the girls on this glorious Friday:

First up, Josie. We have been trying to take things easy this week. Only two activities, no playdates, no gymnastics -- oh my goodness, did I ever tell you we started going to open gym at a gymnastics studio? She LOVES IT. Look!:



Anyway, both girls seemed a little tired and run down and I was hoping a quiet week would help. In the meantime, we have actually turned on the TV again, which ... well, I have mixed thoughts about Josie and TV. I really don't mind that she watches TV. I don't. I limit it, and she mostly watches stuff that teaches her awesome things. When it's not a teaching program, I limit it even more. On the other hand, when we have a normal busy week, we rarely turn the TV on at all, and I get some pleasure out of that. So going back to having the TV on at times during the day, it's ... well, whatever. It's a thing. 

Anyway (again), this morning was rough. Both girls were awake much earlier than normal and everyone was a little cranky. I decided to turn on the boob tube to see if anything was on and stumbled Sophia the First on Disney Junior. I know this is a much-loved show, but I had never purposefully shown it to Josie, since she has enough shows she likes and doesn't need to fall in love with anyone else. I asked her if she wanted to watch it, and she said yes. 

She watched a whole episode, and as another one came on, I asked her what she thought of it. She said, "Eh. It's okay. Can I watch a car or train show now?" Love her. LOVE HER.

Now for Genevieve. It's too late now, it's already been jinxed, so I can say out loud what I had been so excited about last week. Genevieve was sleeping. SLEEEEEEEPING. All night. In her crib. It was so amazing. It was the best thing ever. I would put her to sleep around 7:30 or 8:00, she would wake up ONCE, I got her back to sleep (in her crib!) within 15 minutes, and she would sleep there until 7 AM, when she would wake up laughing and smiling! Laughing and smiling! Oh, it was bliss. 

After nine months of her not sleeping longer than a two-hour stretch and needing to be in our room for at least the second half of the night (we only graduated to her being in her own crib for the first half of the night around 7 months), it was a long time coming and I was over the moon. It finally seemed like her stomach was better and she wasn't waking up in pain all night and needing me. Things were changing.

Then it all went to hell. She started waking up at least five times a night again. Then we had the past two nights, which were so so much worse. I am determined to keep her downstairs in her crib (our bedroom is upstairs and the girls' are downstairs. I KNOW. WHY DID WE BUY THIS DAMN HOUSE? STUPID!), so the night before last I went downstairs ONCE AN HOUR and even sent Jeremy down twice. Last night I was downstairs EVERY HALF HOUR and sent Jeremy down twice. Do you even know how many times that is? Approximately a million. Any guesses on her mood this morning? Yeah, crying, crying, and more crying. SLEEP AT NIGHT, KID. PROBLEM SOLVED.

The worst part is, Jeremy won't even admit that it's his fault. We were at my mom and dad's on Saturday and I told my mom "Something good is happening. Regarding Genevieve. And things she used to not do. She's doing them now. In a different location." My mom totally got it and we were moving on when Jeremy said, OUT LOUD, "Yeah, Genevieve has been sleeping great lately!"

Of course, I shouted "DON'T SPEAK OF IT!!!!!" but it was too late. The damage was done. My dad laughed and laughed and said, "You know what you've done, right? You've guaranteed that if that kid starts sleeping crappy again she's going to wake you up in the night and cry about it being all your fault."

He seriously still won't admit it's his fault*, even though she started sleeping poorly THAT VERY NIGHT.

It's like he's never even met me. I'm not superstitious. But I am a little stitious.**

*I'm sure it has nothing to do with the fact that she's teething, she's congested, and she's had a few diapers that lead me to believe her stomach has gone all wonky again. Noooo. Jeremy broke my baby with his words. FACT.

**Yeah, I'm a little (lot) heartbroken about last night being the last episode of The Office. Did you see it? When a certain silver fox showed up, I cried a little. I could blame the exhaustion, but that would be a lie. I just love him so much.

1 comment:

  1. Yup, I would say he jinxed you...hope things turn around soon.

    ReplyDelete

Every time you leave me a comment, an angel earns its wings.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...