Wednesday, August 21, 2013

Write a NICE Letter

I'm going to go out on a limb here and assume you all heard about the horrific letter that someone slipped under the door of an autistic boy's grandma the other day? I've been thinking a lot about it and wanted to comment on it somehow, but didn't know how. Last night I decided how my energy would be best spent. 

Instead of being angry at the anonymous author or all the other people I know who do mean things, why not just turn it around and use my energy on something positive? 


I decided to write a letter of my own and leave it for someone to find, only my letter would tell someone how great he or she was. Naturally, I asked Josephine who the recipient of the letter should be. She chose her playgroup leader*. She told me things she liked about her, and I wrote it all down, then she added a little at the bottom and even wrote her own name (you'll have to squint a bit to make it out). 

  (The tattoo was temporary J)

Our plan is to surreptitiously leave it on her desk after our next playgroup meeting. I thought it would be better if we left it for her to find instead of standing right there while she read it.

Josephine had a lot of fun doing this, and so did I. It was easy, made us feel good, and made someone else feel good. While I don’t necessarily believe that one nice note could cancel out the hate that the other note created, you all could always do the same and we could start a wave of positivity.

What do you think? Do you have the time to write a letter to someone who makes you happy? If you do, leave a comment, leave a link to a blog post, or tag it #writeaniceletter on Twitter, Facebook, or Instagram.

*P.S. Josephine goes to a playgroup once a week through the Great Start program. If you have one in your area, I cannot recommend it enough. It is like a miniature preschool, it’s free, and the people are fantastic. She loves it so much and has learned a great deal. The St. Clair County Great Start Collaborative also sponsors the Imagination Library for St. Clair County. If you want to sign up for free books for your child, click HERE. If you want to buy free books for a child in St. Clair County for an entire YEAR, you can do so for only $25 by clicking HERE  

P.P.S. I've been writing over at Sean Purcell Photography but neglecting to tell you about it. I shared this challenge, and if you want to read about wacky ways to beat the summer heat, flower girl gift ideasmy experience getting portraits taken with Jeremy to make up for our lousy wedding pictures, or, if you want to see what Sean and Amanda had to say about our family portraits and pictures of me and Jeremy being all in love, then I've got you covered. 

1 comment:

  1. I live under a rock, so I have not heard the story you are speaking of. However, I think it's awesome to do something positive in the wake of something negative. Josephine is such a sweet girl.

    ReplyDelete

Every time you leave me a comment, an angel earns its wings.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...