Monday, March 29, 2010

Factoids: Director Edition

I heard a very interesting factoid about Tim Burton today, which spurred me to do a little research on some of my favorite film directors.  Hopefully these facts are news to you, and if they aren't, just pretend that they are.  Enjoy!

1.  Tim Burton was an animator on the film The Fox and the Hound.


2.  Martin Scorsese is one of 50 people who are barred from every entering Tibet.


3.  Stanley Kubrick refused to talk about his movies on set while he was directing them and never watched them when they were completed.


4.  Francis Ford Coppola had polio as a child, and during his quarantine, he practiced puppetry.


5.  Steven Spielberg has one of the original Rosebud sleds from Citizen Kane in his home.


6.  George Lucas had a dog named Indiana that was not only the inspiration for the character Indiana Jones, but also for the look of Chewbacca.


7.  Walt Disney became interested in personalizing the characters of animals after he carelessly killed an owl as a young child, after which he vowed to never again kill another living creature.


8.  In college David Lynch roomed with Peter Wolf, former lead singer of the J. Geils Band, but Lynch kicked him out because he thought he was "too weird."


9.  Oliver Stone's father took him to a prostitute to lose his virginity when Oliver was in his mid-teens.


10.  When finishing a cup of tea on set, Alfred Hitchcock would often throw the cup over his shoulder, allowing it to break wherever it landed.


[All facts courtesy of imdb]

9 comments:

  1. Number 9 is the story of my life...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love 10 but feel that I shouldn't since it's wasteful.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Number 6 was the only one I actually knew! Very interesting!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Martin Scorsese...such a badass. livin the dream!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This was a fun-filled factoid update! #1 was the only one I knew.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I didn't know any of this! Where do you find this stuff, Veronica?

    And I LOVED The Fox and the Hound!! I'm going to go right away and put it on my "nostalgic movies I need to watch right f*cking now or at least as soon as possible" list.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Mari -- I know, I have mixed emotions on that one too. I can imagine the fun of doing it, but then I realize *I* wouldn't be the person doing the tossing, but probably the person doing the cleaning up.

    Aunt Juicebox -- I specifically asked you to pretend you didn't know any of them. You are such a bad liar.

    Victoria -- I know. Except, it is because of a cartoon he worked on, so ... keep that part to yourself.

    Amie -- Thanks! Also, you were supposed to lie and say I filled your brain with knowledge, not that you knew some of it. Geez.

    Allie -- WHAAA? Commenting on my blog again?!?! Celebrity in the house, people! And I gleaned these facts from general stalking, diary reading, etc. My normal afternoon. I love Fox and the Hound too!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I didn't know any of this! Where do you find this stuff, Veronica?

    And I LOVED The Fox and the Hound!! I'm going to go right away and put it on my "nostalgic movies I need to watch right f*cking now or at least as soon as possible" list.

    ReplyDelete

Every time you leave me a comment, an angel earns its wings.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...