Monday, February 20, 2012

Slow-Cooker Loaded Baked Potato Soup

Slow-Cooker Loaded Baked Potato Soup


I've been making this recipe for a little while now, and it just keeps getting better every time. I originally found the recipe here, and modified it to fit in my crock-pot (she has some industrial-sized one or something crazy) and made a few other changes. But THEN, what with the pregnancy sickness, I decided to make what I thought would be a "bland" version of this recipe (leaving out onion, garlic, and spices), and I LOVED IT. I thought it was better than the original. Maybe it's my pregnancy taste buds, maybe not, but I thought using only three ingredients really let the main flavors come through, and it tasted much more like the soup we used to always get at Bennigan's (YUM).

So, first up is the three-ingredient version, then I will give you my original version.

Slow-Cooker Loaded Baked Potato Soup

2.5 pounds russet potatoes, washed but NOT peeled, then diced into 1/2-ish inch cubes
4 cups of chicken broth
8 oz of cream cheese (I used low fat)

1. Add potatoes and stock to slow cooker. Cook on low for 10 hours or high for 6 hours.
2. Remove about half of the soup to a blender or food processor, add cream cheese and puree until creamy.
3. Add blended mixture back to rest of soup and heat through, stirring occasionally (about 15 minutes).
4. Add toppings of choice! I added crumbled turkey bacon and cheese (and when not pregnant, some jalapenos).


Old version (still delicious)


2.5 pounds russet potatoes, washed but NOT peeled, then diced into 1/2-ish inch cubes
1 small yellow onion, diced
5 cloves garlic, peeled
4 cups of chicken broth
8 oz of cream cheese (I used low fat)
1/2 tablespoon each, salt and pepper (more or less to taste)


1. Add potatoes, onion, garlic, and stock to slow cooker. Cook on low for 10 hours or high for 6 hours.
2. Remove about half of the soup to a blender or food processor, add cream cheese and puree until creamy. Be sure to get all 5 cloves of garlic in the blender.
3. Add blended mixture back to rest of soup and heat through, stirring occasionally (about 15 minutes).
4. Add toppings of choice! 

So, obviously, it depends on the taste you are going for, but the top version was just so much more pure and the potato and chicken flavors were much more pronounced than they were when they had to compete with all the onion and garlic. Also, like I said, the top version reminded me of the Bennigan's version, and the original blogger said her version tasted a lot like Houlihan's version, so if you are a fan of one or the other, you will know which recipe to try first. Either way, it's fast and delicious, and Josie said "YUMMMM" with every single bite with both versions. I love her stamp of approval. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Every time you leave me a comment, an angel earns its wings.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...