Wednesday, January 2, 2013

The Year After 2012

I realllllly hate the number 13. This year is not looking good.

Anyway, I have to do something to wrap up the year because New Year, blah blah blah, even though I'm not feeling very "fresh start-y" or making any resolutions or any of that, but you know ... a year ended, so ...

I figured I could do this end-of-year meme. It's the least I can do. For posterity. I'm pretty sure it's similar to the ones I did in years past, with a few deleted, and I stole it (shamelssly) from Temerity Jane, who I believe gets them from Sundry ...? Whatever. Here it is.


1. What did you do in 2012 that you’d never done before?
Bought a house, had a second child, had a child without pain medication (even though I planned for lots and lots), went the longest time without working outside the home that I ever have.

2. Did you keep your new year’s resolutions, and will you make more for next year?
I didn't make any last year. I mean, I was a little wrapped up in finding out I was pregnant, and I definitely didn't want to think sad things like "goal weights" when I was going to get as big as a house again. And no, no resolutions this year.

3. Did anyone close to you give birth?
Err, me.

4. Did anyone close to you die?
My Godfather died.

5. What countries did you visit?
I accidentally drove into Canada then asked if I could turn around without paying the toll because it was just an accident, and also when were they going to get up the new signs explaining that you now have to take an exit to go to Port Huron and if you stay on the expressway you automatically go to Canada, instead of the other way around, like it has been for a berjillion years (the answer was tomorrow. The signs were going up tomorrow.).

6. What would you like to have in 2013 that you lacked in 2012?
Dollar bills, y'all.

7. What dates from 2012 will remain etched upon your memory, and why?
Welp, I'm gonna go with August 9th, the ONE DAY I specifically asked Genevieve not to be born, and then there I was, having a baby on the same day my other baby turned two and crying about it the whole time. Oh, and there was the whole failed epidural thing. Yes, ETCHED UPON MY MEMORY.

8. What was your biggest achievement of the year?
Tie between birthing a baby, buying a house house, and moving home. 

9. What was your biggest failure?
Oh man. Not one BIG failure, just everyday failures. Getting frustrated with kids, crying more than I wanted to, not realizing how good I have it when I'm stuck in the middle of a very bad moment. You know, the usual.

10. Did you suffer illness or injury?
My back went out a few times in that seen-on-TV way where I am on the ground screaming for death. That was related to nursing SOMEONE ... ALL NIGHT LONG, EVERY NIGHT (more on this kid using me as a human pacifier later, I'm sure). Oh, and the fact that I am still in excruciating pain in the location of the three failed epidural pokes. But no, I'm not bitter about that, NOT AT ALL, why do you ask?

11. What was the best thing you bought?
Our house, cuz, you know ... place to live?

12. Where did most of your money go?
House, fixing house, Josephine, Genevieve, medical bills, other bills.

13. What did you get really excited about?
House, baby. (are you sensing a theme?)

14. What song will always remind you of 2012?
Umm ... Gangham Style?

15. Compared to this time last year, are you:
– happier or sadder? Both. I am happier about many things, but conflicted about many things, and sadder about them. I think overall happier, though. I don't like this question.
– thinner or fatter? At this exact moment last year, I had the little pooch of a newly-pregnant woman (well, maybe the pooch of a three-month pregnant woman, even though I was newly pregnant, WHATEVER.), and now I have the pooch of a woman who has been pregnant twice and her stomach muscles split and never got fixed ... and who also does not work out and eats lots and lots because of a baby who likes to nurse every two hours. So yeah, fatter.
– richer or poorer? Poorer. New baby and fixing up something in the house every dang paycheck.

16. What do you wish you’d done more of?
Just be happy with my girls. Smiling sweetly at them and holding them in my arms. Soon I'll send the big one off to school and I'll only see her for a few hours a day for the rest of her life. Even though this time is exhausting, I will miss it when it's over.

17. What do you wish you’d done less of?
Getting frustrated. Feeling guilty. Eating crappy foods. (Except Cool Ranch Doritos. I'll never feel like I should have eaten less of them.)

18. How did you spend Christmas?
Christmas with Jeremy's parents and siblings and new niece, then with my parents and siblings and nieces and nephews, then at home with our girls and Santa stuff, then Jeremy's Gran with all the aunts and uncles and cousins, then my parents' house again with some aunts and uncles and cousins and cousin's baby, then visiting with friends from out of state, then all of Jeremy's extended family at his aunt's house. 

19. What was your favorite TV program?
Huh. We don't watch as much TV anymore. This is sad. I guess I'd have to say The Office is still my favorite.

20. What were your favorite books of the year?
The only books I managed to read this year were books I was sent to review, and not a single one of my own choosing. I'll leave it at that.

21. What was your favorite music from this year?
"The Wheels on the freakin' Bus;" thanks for asking about our music choices.

22. What were your favorite films of the year?
Meh. Didn't see many of those.

23. What did you do on your birthday, and how old were you?
Date with Jeremy while his parents watched Josie. I was 30. I don't think I cried though, so ... bonus.

24. What one thing would have made your year immeasurably more satisfying?
I know it's wrong to say money, so I'll say sleep.

25. How would you describe your personal fashion concept in 2011?
Bahahahaha!

26. What kept you sane?
Jeremy, the girls' laughter, my mom, and my heating pad for my sore back at night.

27. Tell us a valuable life lesson you learned in 2011.
Ummm .... I probably shouldn't skip the most meaningful question in the whole dang thing, but ... SKIP.

Happy New Year and junk. Give me a few weeks and I probably won't be this crabby (no promises).

2 comments:

  1. :) You always make me laugh!! And #16....so very, VERY true. I can't believe my son is in Kindergarten....all day, every day. I miss him so much when he's gone. *sigh* I didn't know you were having back pain from the failed epi. :( Boo. I'm sorry. Money is an acceptable answer in my book, but I'll settle for more sleep as well!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, honey!

      Yeah, that epidural is ... grrr ... I can't even form a sentence, I'm so mad about it.

      And yeah, money and sleep -- the holy grail!

      Delete

Every time you leave me a comment, an angel earns its wings.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...