Thursday, February 21, 2013

Book Review: A Good American

A Good American by Alex George is the story of a family becoming American. It is a long, detailed family history of Jette and Frederick Meisenheimer coming to America from Germany, told through the eyes of their grandson. It traces the family through three generations, and manages to be funny, sad and so realistic you'll forget you're reading fiction and shake your head at how long it must have taken to piece this together from the family albums. 

I'll be honest. It's not what you'd call a "page turner." I wasn't racing through this like a thriller, desperate for answers. Instead, I found myself reading very slowly, and taking the time to savor the minutiae. If you have the time to sit and fall in love with a few characters, then this is the book for you. You will be transported through time and believe you've been there, visiting this family, and sharing their triumphs and tragedies.

If you'd like to join the conversation at the BlogHer Book Club, click HERE.

I was provided a copy of this book and compensated for this review, but the opinions are my own.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Every time you leave me a comment, an angel earns its wings.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...