Friday, October 9, 2009

The Dog Looked Up At Me and Made a Really Cute Face While I Was Writing This

I'll be honest:  I haven't always had the best track record with cameras.  I used to ... how you say? ... lose and break them.  And not just the disposable or cheap ones.  Also the very nice, very expensive, gift kinds.  Oops.  There was a point in my adult life where my mother didn't trust me with a camera and told me I needed a trial run of on ONE YEAR with disposable cameras before she would buy me a camera for Christmas (yes, I said ADULT life).

Here's the irony:  I LOVE photographs.  My husband makes fun of me because I have more photo albums than most people have hairs on their heads (or backs or butts, whatever; I don't judge).  This is really how my abuse of cameras arises -- I absolutely ALWAYS carry my camera with me.  But I also carry a lot of other shiz around in my giant purses.  So there tends to be some bumping and scratching and whatnot.  On top of that, I am always diving for my camera to get a picture, or throwing myself on the ground to get a great angle of the child or pet doing something priceless, or hanging upside down from somewhere to get a picture of something I already have (more than) one picture of from a New and Different angle.  So my cameras earn their stripes.

But I have been good lately!  Oh-so-good!  I have practically been a Pilgrim!  I have been very gentle with my new and lovely pink camera from two Christmases ago.  But, alas, the other day I tried to turn it on and it didn't wake up.  I figured the battery needed to be charged, as I tend to let things get to almost dead (camera, phone, gas tank, etc.) and then frantically try to recharge them when the timing is least opportune (like racing to work on an empty gas tank so I have time to make copies before class starts and banking on that last gallon lasting a few more miles than usual if I set the cruise).

Anywho, I charged the battery.  But it STILL will not turn on.  And I am devastated.  Simply beside myself.  Let me tell you all of the wonderful memories I have missed out on in the last two-and-a-half weeks because of this camera crisis:

1.  I was unable to document the nasty turn that my big toe has taken.  You may or may not know that my HUSBAND, the man who supposedly loves me, DESTROYED my left big toe on the Fourth of July.  It involved a softball and showing off.  I couldn't take the pressure of all the dried blood trapped under the nail anymore, and I ripped the sucker off last week.  It turns out there was one tiny quarter-inch strip of nail on the right side that did NOT die, so that was still attached.  It was a long, painful process, but now I have the weirdness of the new nail growing up but the tiny strip of still-painted-pink live nail on the edge.  It is weird and gross, and I fully intended to take a picture and post it so people would feel bad for me, send me gifts, and berate my husband. 

2.  I got a NEW and HUGE office.  With a WINDOW, people!!!  And I now have one of those huge L-shaped desks (instead of a 2-foot by 4-foot desk with no drawers pressed up against three other desks in a 6-foot by 6-foot cell).  I have PLANTS, and a BOOKSELF and many many framed photographs on my desk and ART on the walls.  It is fantastic.  But could I take pictures to document this momentous occasion in my "career"?  Nooo.

3.  There have been 4,298 CUTE-CUTE-CUTE cat and dog moments (I kept an accurate running tally), and some of them were cat AND dog interaction moments.  Cuter than THIS:


And these moments can never be recreated.  Never.

So, what's the moral of this story?  Well, maybe when Jeremy finally gets around to reading this post on his wife's blog (which he is NOT a follower of and has never commented on), he will actually pick up my camera and LOOK at it to see if he can fix it.  Like he promised he would.  Multiple times.  Because he is oh-so-good at fixing things.  Love ya Jeremy!  And, of course, life is terrible without a camera.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Every time you leave me a comment, an angel earns its wings.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...