Tuesday, November 6, 2012

ELECTION DAY

I have a tale to tell. A tale of democracy in action. It all began when we moved ...

After we moved, we changed our addresses. We were assured all was well with our voter registration and we were set to vote in our new town. Huzzah! Election Day is a big day for me and Jeremy, and not voting is NOT an option.

Fast forward to two days ago. After checking again to be sure we were all set to vote, we learned we were indeed all set to vote in our new hometown ... beginning November EIGHTH.

That is NOT HELPFUL IN THE LEAST.

We were still registered to vote in Lansing, however. A leisurely two-hour drive across the state.

But WE WOULD NOT BE STOPPED! Someone at the Secretary of State's office who told me I shouldn't request an absentee ballot and was registered to vote at home could not halt the Dimicks and their passion to vote for their preferred Presidential candidate (and all the other stuff I made a cheat sheet for just in case I got nervous and forgot the order of the "yes" and "no" votes on the proposals).

So, yes, I set out this morning -- ALONE! In a car! I couldn't believe it and had to take a picture! -- because my mom also loves democracy and volunteered to babysit.


Then I picked up my man at work and we voted! 

The story gets a little more boring after that.

I tried to get a picture of us proudly displaying our stickers. The first one didn't come out so well.


Either did the second -- look how fat my neck looks when I get excited! 


I tried for a third, but then Jeremy said, "There are people watching! I'm out of here!" and took off for the car. I settled for these:

(he's so cute!)

Yay, democracy! Yes, we loved you enough to drive four hours and spend $50 on gas. 

I figured I better write this today, because if my guy (my cleverly devised nickname for the candidate I voted for) doesn't win ... well, tomorrow could be an emotional day and I might be all "$%^ #*$ @*#($ing democracy!!!" instead.

My stomach is in knots, my hands are shaking a little, and I know it's too soon to turn on CNN, but I want to know! I want to know the outcome of the vote! 

Hopefully you all voted. More specifically, I hope you voted for the same person I voted for, but in general I do hope you voted. We're lucky to be able to do so.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Every time you leave me a comment, an angel earns its wings.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...