I have been collecting caprese grilled cheese recipes on Pinterest, and they all have interesting spins on them, but when I got home last night from teaching my night class and needed a snack, I decided to go with my gut and go simple. And it was GLORIOUS.
The idea is very simple:
1. Spread a little olive oil on a piece of bread, plop it in a pan on medium heat.
2. Place nice large basil leaves on the bread (one layer -- not too much!), followed by THIN slices of your fresh mozzarella and THIN slices of tomato, and second slice of bread (with olive oil, of course).
3. Let sit for how ever many minutes make you happy (I HATE burny grilled cheese and Jeremy loves it), flip and repeat.
1. The thinner the mozz and the tomatoes, the better. I hate to say it, but I will use less cheese the next time around (I know, who AM I?!?!)
2. If your bread is as grilled as you would like it to be but the cheese isn't as melty as you'd like, you can toss it in an oven, toaster oven, or even (GASP!) a microwave (for only a few seconds if it's the micro) to get the cheese melted but maintain the nice toasty nature of the bread. Another reason to make sure your cheese is thinly sliced.
3. I recommend a diagonal cut on the sandwich (and every sandwich you ever eat). Just kidding. (Not really)
It was slightly drippy because my tomatoes were very ripe, so as long as you don't mind a few drips, this might be one of the best sandwiches you ever eat.