Monday, March 28, 2011

Making An Effort Monday

In an effort to make more of the things I love -- good food, pretty things, and organized spaces -- I bring you Making An Effort Monday!


Wanna know what my effort is RIGHT NOW?  It's a big one.  JURY DUTY.  Yes, standing in line, sitting and waiting, being in VERY close proximity to what the clerk called "the biggest group we've ever had!"  "There aren't even enough chairs for everyone!" she chirps, and smiles, like this is the greatest day in the history of local government.  Spare me.


I'm also sitting by a window while typing this, freezing my bajingo off, AND my coffee is already gone and it's not even 9 AM.


So, that is the effort at hand.  My effort earlier this week was a new recipe.  It did NOT go well.  It went so terribly that I didn't even take a picture.  You didn't want to see that mess.


At Jeremy's request, I made a breakfast skillet, a recipe I have had sitting around for a long time and never tried.  It's also not that original or anything.


Here is the recipe:


6 cups frozen cubed hash browns
1/2 chopped onion (I skipped this because I was rushing and Jeremy makes faces when I tell him onions are involved in a recipe, and that just isn't worth the hassle sometimes)
1 chopped green pepper (I skipped this too, because I cannot eat these ever since being pregnant.  Sad face.) 
6 pieces of bacon (I used turkey bacon)
6 eggs
1/2 cup shredded sharp cheddar
1 Tablespoon vegetable oil (I used Smart Balance)


1.  Cook bacon, crumble, and set aside.
2.  Saute the onions and peppers.  Add the hash browns and cook until tender and browned.
3.  Make six "wells" in the cooked hash browns and crack eggs into wells.  Cook about 8-10 minutes, or until eggs are set.
4.  Sprinkle with bacon and cheese. 


Okay, first of all, my skillet is probably too small for this recipe, so I had lots of troubles.  THEN, I cooked those dang eggs for 10 minutes and only the bottom are cooked, so I had to flip them over and cook the other side, and by that time the bottom was a little more cooked than I think was ideal.  Sigh.  Jeremy said it was fine, but I put tons of hot sauce and jalapeƱos on mine to trick my brain into thinking I was eating something palatable.


Oh well, live and learn.


Veronica's final rating:  1.5 out of 5 stars.  If I had a bigger skillet and figured out the egg problem, I might consider making this for a "special breakfast." 


I have to go.  They are showing clips from Twelve Angry Men and chanting their catchphrase, "Jury Duty: It isn't fair if you're not there!"  You know I don't want to miss THAT.  


XOXO,


Angry Veronica

No comments:

Post a Comment

Every time you leave me a comment, an angel earns its wings.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...