Thursday, December 17, 2009

Veronica M. D.: Solving Medical Crises, One By One

(See what I did there -- Marcetti Dimick = M.D.  Like medical doctor?)  Moving on.


It's official.  I'm obsessed with kidneys.  


After I wrote this, I was doing a simple Google images search for a picture of a kidney when I came across this article about a girl with FOUR KIDNEYS!!


But wait, there's more. Supposedly, "only a handful of people in the UK have four kidneys, although having three is relatively common.  But Laura's case is especially unusual because all four are fully formed and functional."


Wait a cotton-picking minute.  Back it up.  There is more than one person with four kidneys?  And HAVING THREE IS RELATIVELY COMMON?  Who are these people?  


How common is relatively common, you ask?  Apparently, "one in 125 people have an extra kidney."  Are you frackin' serious??


My real question is, why did I never know this?  Furthermore, why do pictures of the human anatomy look like this:




and not like THIS?:
I think what this all boils down to is this (hold onto your hats here, because I am putting together pieces of the puzzle that these stupid DOCTORS have failed to so far):  Mandatory screening for extra organs and then mandatory donation of said organs.  


Problem solved.  What else you got for me?


P.S.  This was the favorite kidney picture I found



P.P.S.  This was my second favorite kidney picture
I love it because of a) the butt (tee hee!) and b) the simplification of the process of removing the diseased kidney.

10 comments:

  1. VMD, I know the kidneys are the focus of the post, but I can't get past how creeped out I am by the idea that there are any veins in my body that big. Look how huge that big blue vein is!

    Wait - are the blue ones veins? I'm pretty sure the blue ones are veins. The red ones are republicans, the blue ones have to be veins.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think the blue ones are Democratic arteries.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Just imagine what you could do with multiple kidneys! Uh...sell them. That's about it. Still! Better than multiple nipples!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What! I'm so jealous! Being born with an extra kidney it like a pocket of cash in your side.

    Oh. Is that not where anyone else's head went?

    I'll go now...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi, Veronica...kind of cute the way you are obessed with kidneys, but out of all the organs, I would say that kidneys have the most personality. I like your blog, thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Kate - I don't know ... multiple nipples could be good for a thing or two. The nipple clamp industry would likely take off.

    LiLu - Yeah, I thought about that too, but I went the "helping people" route, which I now realize is LAME. I like the phrase "pocket of cash" in your side, because my husband (who is missing most of one kidney) has always wanted to add a zipper and use the extra space like a pocket. I think it might catch on.

    Joe Cap - Thanks! I was totally going for "cute" with this obsession. And I agree, those kidneys have TONS of personality.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your wedding was beautiful. Please review my blog regarding holistic health and beauty tips.
    http://meli777-mel.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ok... so I've stumbled on your blog and also happen to be from the arctic mitten. I have cracked up enough times now while reading your blog to cause my sleeping husband to wake up and say "Seriously, dude."

    But here on the kidney post is where I had to step out into the open. Ironically, I was looking up kidneys today and therefore I DIED when I got to this post... So I know you have an internet girlfriend and I respect that. But I hope you'll at least consider me that bitch on the side you call when you guys get into an argument.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Miranda - Well, well, well ... I never thought this day would come. Welcome to my crazy, official bitch-on-the-side.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Kate - I don't know ... multiple nipples could be good for a thing or two. The nipple clamp industry would likely take off.

    LiLu - Yeah, I thought about that too, but I went the "helping people" route, which I now realize is LAME. I like the phrase "pocket of cash" in your side, because my husband (who is missing most of one kidney) has always wanted to add a zipper and use the extra space like a pocket. I think it might catch on.

    Joe Cap - Thanks! I was totally going for "cute" with this obsession. And I agree, those kidneys have TONS of personality.

    ReplyDelete

Every time you leave me a comment, an angel earns its wings.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...